When our society thinks of adoption, their thoughts usually go to the “designer” dogs. There are several aspects about purebred dogs that are attractive to individuals looking to adopt a dog, but there are also several reasons adopting a mutt can be even more attractive if not overlooked. At Anasazi Animal Clinic we provide pet care and pet health for all types of animals in the Gilbert area, but we also believe in embracing full knowledge on decisions.
Mutts versus purebred dogs can seem like a no brainer to a lot of people. Purebred dogs have an attractive look to them, they can be show dogs, and they have distinct traits. However, there are many aspects of a mutt that are beneficial to the owner, more so than a purebred dog. Some advantages of a mutt include:
- Life Saving: When adopting a mutt from an animal shelter, you are literally saving a life!
- One of a Kind: Each mutt has a distinct mixture. It is difficult to get another dog that is exactly the same. The combination of their breed makes them very unique and special in themselves.
- Stand Against Puppy Mills: When you choose to adopt a mutt or a mixed breed, you are taking a stand against the puppy mills that are creating purebred dogs at a high rate while mistreating the animals.
- Affordability: Purebred dogs are very costly due to their pedigree whereas mixed breed dogs are much more affordable and usually only cost an adoption fee.
- Full of Personality: Mutts have great personalities due to their genetic make-up. They have a blend of different characteristics that makes them easier to train, as well.
- Life Span: It has been proven that, due to their genetic characteristics which lower risk for catching illnesses and disease, mutts tend to live longer. They also tend to have less risk for having a genetic defect.
As there are several reasons that make adopting a mutt over a purebred dog advantageous for you and your family, you may have more of an understanding as to whether or not you’d like a mutt.
Mutts are not a lesser breed or lesser animals. They are just as capable, if not more, to show unconditional love, affection and loyalty. They have all the capabilities to follow through with the duties that you’ve always wanted a dog to do whether that is hunting, running, competing in dog shows, or just a loyal companion. There is nothing that a mutt cannot do or is not incapable of.
It only takes one person to give a mutt a chance. They are the majority of dogs in animal shelters and if they are not adopted, they are eventually euthanized. Think about saving a life today if you are wanting to adopt a dog. A mutt may just change your life.
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (7/20/2017) Mark Hillary (Flickr)