Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Pets are an important part of our family, which means they’re an important part of our holiday festivities! And it’s important to keep them as safe as possible amid all the hustle and bustle. Here at Anasazi Animal Clinic in Gilbert, we care about your furry companions as much as you do, so we’ve got some simple tips for keeping pets healthy over the holidays.

Foods Hazards

In general, you should avoid giving human food to your pets. But specifically, here are some foods that are particularly dangerous. Make sure your pet can’t reach any food that may contain these ingredients:

  • Chocolate—It contains a toxic compound called theobromine. Even a small amount can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
  • Grapes and raisins—These can cause kidney failure in dogs.
  • Xylitol—is a toxic substance to cats and dogs. It is a sugar alternative that can be found in gum, toothpaste, peanut butter, and sugar-free products.
  • Poultry skin/gravy, fat trimmings– The high fat content in these can cause pancreatitis in cats and dogs.
  • Alcohol—Just one tablespoon can cause liver and brain damage in cats.
  • Bones—Cats and dogs can choke on splintered bones and they can cause tears or get stuck in their GI tracts.
  • OnionsOnions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate that is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia.
  • Yeast doughEating yeast dough can cause painful gas and dangerous bloating in cats and dogs.

Decoration Dangers

Decorations make the holidays more festive, but they can also pose dangers to our furry friends. Here are some things you may not have considered when it comes to decorating.

  • Christmas trees—Consider securing the christmas tree by tying it to the ceiling or to a door frame, in order to prevent it from falling over on pets that may be tempted to climb it!
  • Tree water additives and fertilizers—Can be poisonous to your pet. Do not add anything to the water in your Christmas tree if you have pets.
  • Ornaments—Keep breakable and salt-dough ornaments out of the reach of pets.
  • Tinsel—Kitties in particular love this sparkly decoration. But it can cause intestinal blockages if ingested by pets, resulting in costly surgery.
  • Lights—Both cats and dogs may be tempted to chew electrical cords. Make sure to unplug them when you leave your pets unattended.

If your pet does get into something dangerous, be sure to bring them into Anasazi Animal Clinic right away. We offer urgent care and emergency services located in Gilbert, AZ. Remember to have fun this holiday season, while making sure your pets stay safe! And be sure to look for more tips on keeping pets healthy over the holidays in our next blog post!

 

Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (12/28/2018) Pixaby 

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail