Pets bring immense amounts of love, joy, and companionship to our lives. And along with these wonderful attributes of pet ownership comes a lot of responsibility. Pets shed, make messes, get sick, and among other things, roll around in the dirt. At Anasazi Animal Clinic in Gilbert, Arizona, we believe the best pet care is preventative care. While some preventative care happens at the vet’s office—like vaccinations and blood work—the majority of proper pet care takes place at home. And you’ll be glad to know that by keeping your pets clean and healthy, you’ll be positively impacting the health of your entire family.
7 Essential Pet Care Hygiene Tips for Your Home
- Clean your cat’s litter box every single day! Keeping fluffy’s litter box clean is important for multiple reasons. Cats despise eliminating in a dirty place, not to mention that disease and bacteria are spread easily through cat feces. And daily cleaning of your kitty’s litter box will keep the whole house smelling so much better!
- Vacuum floors and upholstery on a regular basis. Vacuuming regularly will keep the air and surfaces of your house clean. This is particularly important if someone in your house suffers from allergies.
- Wash your pet’s bedding. Vacuuming your pet’s bedding is important. But in order to keep pet hair and dander as well as potential pests and parasites from spreading or causing infection, it’s also necessary to wash your pet’s bedding regularly.
- Store pet food properly. Dry and wet food should both be stored in airtight containers after opening. Wet food should be also refrigerated, and dry food should be stored in a cool, dry place. Avoid keeping dry food in the garage, especially in our Arizona heat!
- Clean food and water dishes. As humans, we clean our own cups and bowls after every use. Similarly, your pet’s dishes should be washed regularly to prevent the spread of mold, germs, and other harmful bacteria.
- Be diligent about flea and tick prevention. Pets WebMD advises lowering the risk of fleas and ticks on your pet and in your home by taking this preventive action each time your pet has been outside: “When they come home, run a flea comb or brush through your pet’s coat before going inside, reducing the number of pests it carries.’
- Wash and replace pet toys regularly. That stuffed animal toy that is Fido’s favorite: when was the last time you washed it? Unfortunately, it can harbor disease that can spread to both your furry family member and your human family members. Washing it regularly is a good idea for the benefit of everyone in the household.
By following these pet-related housekeeping tasks, your home will smell and look great. In addition, you’re also ensuring the health of your two-legged and four-legged family members. For more information on preventative pet care plans, contact us or stop by and visit us at Anasazi Animal Clinic in Gilbert, Arizona. Our passion is offering your beloved animal companions the best pet care possible.