Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

The holidays can be a time filled with joy, laughter, and so much love. With the hustle and bustle of the season, however, it can be easy to forget about the normal pet safety measures you take throughout the rest of the year. Here at Anasazi Animal Clinic, located in Gilbert Arizona, we want to make sure your pets stay safe this holiday season.

Hazards for Pets

Here are a few things to consider to keep your pet safe and healthy during the winter holidays:

  • Chocolate: It usually is in abundance at this time of year, and as delicious as it is for us, it can be very dangerous for our furry friends. Ingesting chocolate puts too much methylxanthines in a pet’s body and can cause adverse effects.
  • Alcohol: Likely your friends and family will not be giving your pet a drink, but not paying attention can lead to your pet being inadvertently poisoned. Even rum cakes or the yeast in unbaked dough can have a negative effect on your beloved pet.
  • Grapes and Raisins: It seems unusual, but grapes and raisins can be actually damaging to a dog or cat. These are common hazards for pets that most people are unaware of.
  • Medications: Be sure to tell your guests about any pet-proofing measures they need to take. House guests frequently leave their open suitcases on the ground of their room. This could create a dangerous situation if they have medications lying around that a pet (or child) could get into.
  • Tinsel and ribbon: These items are pretty, sparkly and add a little something to the decor and the gifts, but can be extremely dangerous for your pet if they are ingested. Tinsel and ribbon can lacerate, twist, or block the intestines, requiring emergency attention. Pet-owners may need to think about skipping the tinsel and paying close attention to cleaning up ribbons while unwrapping gifts.
  • Xylitol: This is a sugar substance found in gum, different recipes and some sugar-free candies. Xylitol can be yummy for humans, but when ingested by pets, it can cause vomiting, seizures, loss of coordination, and even liver failure.
  • Plants: Holly and mistletoe are staples to any holiday. Unfortunately, these two plants are very toxic to pets. If ingested they can cause gastrointestinal issues, heart disorders and breathing difficulty.

While there are many reasons to be cautious this holiday season, we don’t want you to limit your fun. Just be mindful of what is around and within reach of your pet. There may be certain things you can do without this season, just to keep your pet safe. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Anasazi Animal Clinic today!

Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (12/10/2017) Marcy Leigh (Flickr)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail